A romantic walk on the beach
in the British Virgin Islands
A romantic wedding on the beach, a mountaintop overlooking the turquoise blue waters, a lush tropical garden - weddings in the British Virgin Islands are unforgettable occasions. A marriage license is simple to arrange, and the certificate is valid in the United States.
Or imagine walking along the beach hand in hand enjoying gorgeous sunsets together. Enjoy your honeymoon in the most beautiful place in the world.
There are accommodations to suit every budget, from the modestly priced to the extravagantly luxurious. It's no wonder these islands are known as Nature's Little Secrets.
As you begin your life together - what better place to start than in Paradise?
Need help in planning your wedding? Check out our weddings page.
- You may apply for your marriage license at the Attorney General's office. The office is located in the Government Administration Complex at Wickham's Cay I, Road Town, Tortola.
- You must be in the British Virgin Islands for a minimum of 3 days prior to the wedding service and after having applied for your marriage license.
- You will be required to purchase $110.00 in postage stamps if you have been in the territory for less than 15 days prior to the ceremony or $50.00 in stamps if you have been in the BVI for 15 days or more.
- Passports are required as proof of identity and to establish your date of arrival in the BVI.
- If you were previously married, a certified copy or original documentation of your divorce (absolute decree) or death certificate of a deceased spouse is required.
- Two witnesses will be required to oversee the signing of your marriage license application and two different witnesses are required to be present during the ceremony. (You may select persons from the BVI to serve as witnesses for either or both occasions.)
- Once your application for a marriage license has been completed, proceed to the Registrar's office (located above the Post Office) on Main Street, Road Town, Tortola. The office is open from 9:00 am to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday and from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on Saturdays.
- For more information on getting married in the islands, contact the Registrar's Office, P.O. Box 418, Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands or phone (284) 468-3701 ext. 5001 or (284) 494-3492.
The Registar Requirements
- Marriage ceremony fees are payable to the Registrar. Fee - $35.00 if the ceremony is performed in the office and $100.00 if the ceremony is performed elsewhere.
- Full and legal names of both parties
- Ages and date of birth of both parties
- Occupations of both parties
- Names of the witnesses for your wedding ceremony
- If you are planning a church wedding, please contact the church of your choice and speak with the Minister or Priest regarding their requirements.